The Individual Address of a device defines the location of the device within the topology.
Individual Addresses are represented by two octets: the device high address and the device low address octet, in a telegram the high address octet is always sent first.
- D7+D6+D5+D4 of the device high address octet represent the Area (A) the device belongs to
- D3+D2+D1+D0 of the device high address octet represent the Line (L) the device is connected to
- the entire device low address octet represents the Device Address (D) within the Line
- 'Area'.'Line'.'Device Address' = A.L.D
Rules & interpretation
- A=L=D=0 : not allowed
- L=D=0 : backbone coupler
- L≠D=0 : line coupler
- A=L=0 : backbone line device
- A≠L=0 : (area) main line device
- D=0 : coupler
- D≠0 : regular device or line repeater