What is KNX Virtual ?
- KNX Virtual is a Windows application representing a KNX installation, i.e. it is not a physical installation but it behaves like one.
What are the advantages of KNX Virtual ?
- No KNX hardware required (i.e. power supply, interface, buttons, actuators, ...)
- Learn about KNX & ETS by playing (no harm can be done)
- Great tool for getting acquainted with KNX
- Possibility for anyone to get the experience of controlling a (physical) KNX installation
What are the requirements for KNX Virtual ?
- The same requirements as for the latest released ETS
- The latest released ETS has to be installed on the same machine
Where to get KNX Virtual from ?
- Purchase it as free order from: MyKNX -> Shop -> Software -> All Software
How do I install it?
- After purchase (as free order) download the .zip File from: MyKNX -> MyAccount -> Products -> Licenses -> download.
How to start KNX Virtual?
- Launch (double-click) the .exe file.
- Any warning from e.g. installed anti-virus software can be ignored.
Is KNX Virtual virus free ?
- Only launch KNX Virtual, if it has been downloaded from MyKNX.
- Never launch it, if received via email or downloaded from a 3rd party website, immediately delete this file and order/download it, as described above via a MyKNX account instead!
What do all the acronyms stand for ? (alphabetically)
- AM : Alarm Module
- BA : Blinds Actuator
- BI : Binary Input Module
- DA : Dimming Actuator
- HA : HVAC Actuator
- HVAC : Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
- KliX : Application Program of the push button device
- LM : Logic Module
- MP : Movement & Presence detector
- RTC : Room Temperature Controller
- SA : Switching Actuator
- SM : Scene Module
- WM : Weather Module
How to connect ETS to KNX Virtual ?
- Start KNX Virtual first
- Define via KNX Virtual -> Settings: the IP port of its KNXnet/IP interface
- Start ETS
- The interface should automatically be detected by ETS
- If not, create it manually via the ETS Dashboard -> Bus -> Interfaces -> Add:
- IP address = 127.0.0.1
- IP port = according to the settings of KNX Virtual (typically 3671)
Is there any KNX Virtual tutorial available ?
- Yes, we recommend to watch the following videos with KNX Virtual in action:
- Part1 - Switching + Feedback + Flags : video1
- Part2 - Dimming : video2
- Part3 - Blinds Control : video3
- Part4 - HVAC : video4
Is an ETS license required to work with KNX Virtual ?
- No, an ETS license is not required, i.e. ETS demo can be used to work with KNX Virtual
- Please note however that ETS demo has a limitation of 5 devices per project
Good to know
- It is possible to set up the devices per building function type (lighting, heating, etc.) in order to play with all devices of KNX Virtual in case of using ETS demo, e.g.:
- project 1: switching + feedback
- project 2: switching + movement detection
- project 3: switching + alarm
- KNX Virtual indicates (under View>Devices) the order number of the required products, they can be retrieved and added to the ETS project(s) via the ETS online catalog.
- For KNX inexperienced users we recommend to follow an online training via our eCampus platform first.