This article covers the following:
- Supported operating systems
- Installation of software components
- Non-supported interfaces and environments
Supported operating systems
The following operating systems are exclusively supported for an ETS5 installation:
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 x32/x64
- Microsoft Windows 10 x32/x64
- Microsoft Windows 11 x32/x64
Installation of software components
The software components required for ETS5 (e.g. the .NET framework) are not installed via the setup tool of ETS5, when the target computer runs on a Microsoft Windows 8 operating system. However, the setup informs that it is necessary to download and install those components.
- If the target computer is connected to the internet, Windows will try to automatically check for updates, download and install them. During such updates, ETS5 setup will be interrupted.
- If the target computer is not connected to the internet, you will have to load those components from the installation CD/DVD and install them.
User access rights
ETS5 does not require administrator rights to be installed. Those are only required to install plug-ins. As long as you do not use any devices with plug-ins or the plugins are installed once, ETS6 runs with normal user rights.
The ETS5 setup already allows write access to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\EIBA sc\Baggage' for the user group 'Everyone'. This is, for most plug-ins, sufficient for simply copying files. However, a lot of them also register COM classes, and even run MSI setups that explicitly request administrator rights. Since the plug-ins are not a software by KNX Association, but by the individual KNX manufacturers it is advisable to contact the respective manufacturers for any concern about the user access rights.
Non-supported interfaces and environments
- Serial RS232 communication ports are not supported.
- Installing and running ETS5 on a supported operating system in a virtual environment (such as Virtual PC, VM Ware, etc.) and/or via Remote Desktop is not foreseen. Working in such environments is at your own risk. In this case, warranty and support cannot not be given by KNX Association.
- Linux, MacOS, and other not mentioned operating systems are not supported.