This article covers the following topics.
- What is a Manufacturer Code?
- Where is a Manufacturer Code used?
- What are the requirements and how to request a Manufacturer Code?
A Manufacturer Code is a global identifier assigned to a KNX member. Manufacturer Codes are administered by the KNX Association. The data length Manufacturer Code is 2 octets.
In System 1 devices however the foreseen data length for the Manufacturer Code is 1 octet.
A Manufacturer Code is used by ETS in order to check whether the originator of the to be loaded Application Program corresponds with originator of the device.
The Manufacturer Code is also used as part of an ETS App identifier.
For companies in order to request a Manufacturer Code, the following is required:
- The company shall be a KNX Member.
- An active MyKNX account linked to the company shall be used.
NOTE: Manufacturer Codes shall only be requested for an imminent launch of a commercial product. See here.
To request the Manufacturer Code, follow these steps:
- Login to the MyKNX account linked to the company.
- In 'My account', click 'Manufacturer Code'.
- Fill out the desired name to appear in ETS (and Manufacturer Tool), i.e. to which the Manufacturer Code shall be assigned to.
- Select at least one product group.
- Click the 'Submit request' button.
See also the video below:
Once KNX Association confirms the request, the Manufacturer Code together with the name linked to it will appear in the KNX master data file.
KNX Association is not receptive for specific Manufacturer Code claims/requests.