This article covers the following topics:
1. Change Application Program
This is enabled if the device has the ability to execute more than one Application Program (e.g. a simple switch plus a dimmer and more). When you click on the button (if it is enabled), all selectable Application Programs for this device are shown. This presumes that several devices with switchable Application Programs (that are compatible with one another) were imported to the respective project in advance (ETS always only imports the single application into the project that is selected in the catalog).
Switchable applications must at least be registered or certified. For this reason, the option to switch them is not provided at all when there are no other certified or registered.
When there is an Application Program change, all (current) parameter settings/associations are lost. Switching Application Program does not work if the maximum number of devices has been reached in the project. To achieve this, disconnect one of the other devices temporarily or move one to another project, reverse the application and then move the device back to the original project.
2. Update Application Program Version
If there is an application update available in the online KNX product catalog (and only here), this function is enabled under the 'Application' tab in the Devices panel properties. The update can be carried out for this device or for all of the (identical) devices present in the project.
In some cases it may be necessary to swap out or replace the Application Program (in a project) of an already existing configured device (e.g. when urgent updates are needed or an error occurs in the Application Program itself). ETS5 allows easy replacement of the Application Program while maintaining all project parameters or assigned Group Addresses.
- There is a device (A) from manufacturer X in a project, with the Application Program Y version Z.
- The manufacturer has provided an updated version of the KNX product entry for the device (A) (more precisely a new Application Program), e.g. manufacturer X; application Y; Version Z+1.
How to update?
- Import the new Application Program in the Catalog of ETS5 from the Online Catalog.
- Open the project where the devices to be updated are located.
- Select the device (A) or multiple devices (A) and browse to the 'Application' tab in the 'Devices panel properties'.
- Select the new Application Program from the list and click the 'Update' button. By doing this, the Application Program Y version Z, will be replaced by Application Program Y version Z+1, keeping all assigned Group Addresses and parameters.