In order to configure the connection between a computer and a KNX installation (e.g. to download the individual address and/or application program from the commissioning PC to the KNX installation or to use a visualization software), it is indispensable that the bus interface settings have been set correctly.
To access the connection manager, you can click on the dropdown menu from the main toolbar.
Invoking the connection manager shows:
- On top: Automatic (which is the default option); if you include the interface(s) in your project, this will be in most cases the only option you need.
- In the middle: The currently discovered interfaces (USB, IP-routing and IP-tunneling interfaces are recognized and displayed automatically by ETS, they do not need to be created. An interface which is not recognized cannot be used by ETS, even if it is manually created). This selection is only valid during the current project session, as it is intended mainly for quickly switching connections, e.g. for diagnostic purposes.
- On the bottom: The possibility to manage configured interfaces; This is only required when accessing the installation from remote (i.e. with a different IP address than configured in the project), or when using Eiblib/IP interfaces.
The currently selected connection option is marked with a green checkmark in front of the option.
A red dot () right after the icon above indicates that the interface is in Programming Mode (refreshes every ~3 seconds).
To configure the respective options, click the cog icon next to each option. For further information on the configuration of the Interfaces, see Connection Manager (Detailed).
Automatic Bus Connection
The option 'Automatic' means that ETS will determine the most suitable bus interface to connect to the installation, depending on several factors. The following options appear in the 'Automatic' configuration in the order ETS is going to use them (first one on top):
Direct IP connection if supported by target device
If this option is activated, direct IP connections to IP devices will be established in order to execute online operations (e.g. a direct device download via IP). For this purpose, a so-called device “discovery” is carried out at the beginning in which elementary device properties (SN, KNX Secure status, etc.) are queried online.
- The device is found via IP, i.e. ETS and IP device communicate with the same Multicast address.
- The KNX Serial Number of the device found matches the device in the project (if the KNX Serial Number of the device is available in the project)
In this mode...
- ... telegram recordings are not possible.
- ... the local address of the connection matches that of the device to be loaded.
- Devices without KNX Secure (i.e. also KNX Secure devices with KNX Secure disabled on the device) are loaded in plain via IP.
- Devices with KNX Secure enabled are loaded securely via IP.
- Enabled KNX Secure online found on the device (feedback from the discovery) - Use of the associated security passwords (if available) from the ETS project for this device, otherwise no download.
- Enabled KNX Secure on the device found in the project (status on the device) - Use of the associated security passwords (must be available) from the ETS project for this device.
Local USB connection if target device is connected via USB
If this option is activated and the KNX Serial Number of the target device matches the KNX Serial Number of the USB interface, then the local USB connection will be used.
Nearest bus interface according to project data
If this option is activated, ETS checks for a bus interface in the segment that is connected to and upwards in the topology and uses the one which is closest in the topology (subsegment → main segment → main segment of main line → main segment of Backbone).
- Interfaces with at least the 'Address' flag set and a known KNX Serial Number.
Connection configured as Bus Access in the topology
If this option is activated, ETS tries to use a bus interface that has been defined as a project connection in the topology. This feature is mainly intended for remote access to the installation.
Attached USB interface
If this option is activated, and if there is a KNX/USB interface connected to the computer, then use it.