This article describes in short what the differences are between these software packages, i.e among others based on their history.
- Has been introduced with ETS4.
- Is a software package that adds features to ETS, i.e. it is not device specific.
- Can only be invoked within an ETS project, i.e. project needs to be open (except for EIBlib/IP).
- Has been introduced with ETS5.
- Is a device specific App, i.e. the added functionality is not intended for general use.
- Only one type exists: User Interface.
- The added functionality is embedded.
- Has been introduced with ETS2.
- A plug-in adds device specific functionality to ETS.
- 3 types can be distinguished: User Interface, Download (Hawk) & Data Handler.
- The added functionality is however NOT embedded.
Embedded: DCA advantages
- Select e.g. a device in the ETS Topology list view (left side): an extra tab 'DCA' next to 'Group Objects', 'Channels' and 'Parameters' is added to the device list view (right side).
- Multiple instance is supported (edit several copies in one go).
- Same update system as ETS.
- Same operating system support as ETS.