Set a project password
This opens a dialog to add a project password.
Change a project password
Enter the old password once and the new password twice. Then click OK to confirm. There is obviously no Old Password the first time, so do not specify one at first use.
Colors show the security or strength of the password (Weak, Okay, Good, Very Good); the following criteria are important for this.
- A requirement for a minimum number of characters (e.g. eight or more)
- Use of different types of characters
- Lowercase letters (a,b,c...)
- Upper case letters (A,B,C...)
- Numbers (0,1,2,...)
- Special characters (#,!,/,...)
- The sequence of characters should not evidence any recognizable system.
- No sequential characters (not "ABCD1234")
- No repeating pairs of characters (not "AB12AB12")
- Do not use individual characters too often
- The entry is case sensitive.
- The password can be a maximum of 20 characters long and any ASCII printable characters can be used.
Extended ASCII characters, e.g. German "Umlaute", Greek or Cyrillic are not accepted as characters and ETS does not show a warning. For more information about ASCII see here.
Disable a project password
To disable password protection, click the Clear Password button.
Disabling a project password is only possible if there are no devices in secure mode or device certificates.
- Entering a project password does the following:
- locks the project; this project cannot be opened or edited without the correct entry of the password
- the project is encrypted during project export; the data of the exported project cannot be accessed (e.g. with a ZIP program)
- Unlocking is only possible when the correct password is entered.
- The project is locked again when the project is closed (at the latest when ETS is closed).
- If no password has been assigned, the text field remains blank. If a password has been assigned, this is indicated by "ll...ll" in the text field.
There is no way to recover your project data if the password is lost, not even via KNX (there are no hidden master keys that would make this possible). If the password is lost, all you can do is delete the project from the project store (the password does not offer protection against deletion; it only protects the contents).