This article covers the following aspects:
- Information about the permitted files in the online catalog server
- Conversion using ETS4 or ETS5
- Conversion using the ETS4 standalone converter
- Conversion using the command line converter
- Conversion using the Manufacturer Tool
1. Information about the permitted files in the online catalog server
Since the introduction of ETS4, all the product databases for ETS (.vd1, .vd2, .vd3, .vd4, .vd5) have become containers that contain XML files (.knxprod). Therefore, the online catalog accepts only files that are '.knxprod' format; existing products databases for old ETS versions (older than ETS4) have to be converted to this format with before they are able to be uploaded to the online catalog server. There are four ways to convert product databases from previous ETS to 'knxprod' and they are listed below.
If you convert your files using ETS5 or the ETS5 command line converter, then by uploading them to the Online Catalog, they will only be available for ETS5 or newer versions.
2. Conversion using ETS
The first way to convert an old KNX product database file to 'knxprod' format is by using ETS (ETS4 or ETS5). You can do it in two different ways, depending on the situation:
- Case 1 : The product(s) need(s) to be imported first in ETS
- Press 'Import Products' (1) link so that 'Import Products' wizard opens.
- Select the product database that you want to be converted by pressing the button. (2)
- Once the product database is selected, press the 'Next' button (3) to proceed with the conversion.
Then, check the option 'Save the converted file'. This will save the converted file (knxprod) to the same location as the source file. The original vdx file remains as well without being modified or deleted.
- Case 2 : The product(s) are available in ETS
If you have already imported the product(s) in your ETS4 in the past, then you can easily export them by doing the following:
- Open the 'Catalogs' section (1)
- Select the product(s) that you would like to export (2) and then
- Press the 'Export' button (3). This will open the browser dialog in order you to select the location where the file will be saved.
3. Conversion using the ETS4 standalone converter
Another method to convert the KNX product databases is to use the ETS4 standalone converter (Converter.exe), which is installed in the same directory with ETS. Usually is under ‘C:\Program Files\ETS4\’.
ETS4 must be installed on the computer
Locate the converter (Converter.exe) and open it. Then follow the next steps:
- Select the option ETS Products (1)
- Press 'Next' (2) and then you will be redirected to the standard conversion procedure as described here.
4. Conversion using the command line converter
If you have an automated process to convert KNX product databases, then you can integrate the command line converter (knxconv.exe) of either ETS4 or ETS5 that can be found under:
- ETS4 converter: C:\Program Files\ETS4
- ETS5 converter: C:\Program Files (x86)\ETS5
The converter works by simply dragging & dropping a KNX product database on it.
The respective ETS version must be installed on the computer where the converter runs.
5. Conversion using the Manufacturer Tool
Another option for converting KNX product databases, is to use the Manufacturer Tool. Open the Manufacturer Tool and follow the next steps:
1. Create a new project.
2. Select the template 'KNX Convert knxprod/vd file to KNX MT Project'.
3. Select the 'Target ETS Version' (ETS4 or higher) and press 'OK'.
4. Select the original KNX product database.
5. Open the project and then make a new 'Build'.
6. You can find the 'knxprod' file in the 'Out' folder of your project.