The KNX USB licensing dongle is a piece of hardware, for which an application has been developed integrated. Whenever there is a new application version for this hardware (also known as firmware), ETS shows a respective message within the Licensing dialog as shown in the picture below.
It is strongly recommended to upgrade the firmware immediately, as it might have an impact on licensing new software products by KNX.
To realize the firmware upgrade please follow the steps below:
1. Open the license manager by clicking the 'License' and select the KNX USB licensing dongle for which a firmware upgrade is available. Then, and click the 'Start Update' button as shown in the picture.
2. By pressing the 'Start Update' button, the firmware upgrade process is initiated. Before starting:
- Ensure that you have closed all files and documents that you may have opened from the flash drive of the dongle (for the very first KNX USB licensing dongles with available storage).
- Ensure that all your ETS projects (on all ETS versions that work with the selected KNX USB licensing dongle) are closed.
- Do not remove the KNX USB licensing dongle during the upgrade process, as this may destroy your dongle and no free-replacement is given in this case.
Then, once the above precautions are taken into account, click the 'Continue' button, so that the actual process starts.
3. Wait until the firmware upgrade process - step 1 is being executed; this might take a while.
4. Wait until the firmware upgrade process - step 2 is being executed; this might take a while.
5. As soon as the firmware upgrade process is successfully completed, you will see a completion message like the one shown below. Click the 'OK' button to exit the process and resume your work with ETS.